Vacancy: Junior Epidemiologist
Full-time (40 hours per week) – based in Amsterdam
The Amsterdam Institute for Global Health and Development (AIGHD) is seeking an inquisitive and results driven early‐career researcher in health sciences, to fill the position of Junior Epidemiologist. We offer you an international setting with a high‐pace that demands a flexible, assertive and creative attitude. The Junior Epidemiologist will provide hands on assistance in research projects conducted by, or in collaboration with AIGHD, with drafting research proposals, and in teaching. The Junior Epidemiologist will work closely with other researchers and be supervised in her/his daily work by one of the senior epidemiologists/Primary Investigators at AIGHD. The position will include an honorary affiliation (“gastaanstelling”) with the Department of Global Health of the Academic Medical Center.
- Provide epidemiological advice on project proposals
- Be involved in formulating data analysis plans in line with project objectives
- Lead or assist data analysis according to data analysis plans
- Provide epidemiological guidance to other researchers within AIGHD
- Be involved in teaching at Bachelor and Master level
- Master’s degree in Epidemiology or similar (e.g. Health Sciences or Public Health with epidemiology/biostatistics track)
- Work experience in epidemiological analysis is an asset.
- Good knowledge of epidemiological methodology and analysis
- Strong quantitative analysis skills
- Versatile in the use of statistical software packages (preferably STATA en/or R)
- Good knowledge of routine software (e.g. Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
- Ability to work independently and in a team
- Ability to meet project time lines
- Ability to present work publicly
- Experience in the use of observational data is an asset
- Experience in database development is an asset
AIGHD provides an excellent environment for a junior epidemiological researcher who wishes to gain experience, expertise and a network in global health research. We offer a salary in line with prevailing sector standards. AIGHD has a full-time workweek of 40 hours, 25 days leave annually, an attractive collective pension plan, and a very comprehensive collective health insurance scheme. The position is based at the office of AIGHD in Amsterdam (close to the Academic Medical Center).
For more information about the job description, general questions, or to submit an application (including CV and letter of motivation) please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Your application including CV should be directed to Mr F.R. Janssen, General Manager and sent to email@example.com or AIGHD, Pietersbergweg 17, 1105 BM Amsterdam. Closing date: 10 April 2017.
The AIGHD is a dynamic institute and network focused on research, education and policy advice in global health and development. It takes a problem‐oriented approach and transcends the boundaries of traditional academic disciplines to provide sustainable solutions. The Institute stands for a collaboration among biomedical researchers from the Academic Medical Center (AMC) and social scientists and economists from the University of Amsterdam (UvA) and from the VU University Amsterdam (VU). AIGHD works closely with a number of related organizations such as the Joep Lange Institute and the Amsterdam Health & Technology Institute (ahti), as well as with non‐governmental organizations (NGOs) working in global health such as PharmAccess Foundation and KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation.
No (recruitment) agencies please.